2000 Camaro - Rear view mirror came off
tar~bal
2008-07-01 11:59:36 UTC
Anyone reinstall one? I've done it before, but I was able to get the
bracket off on my other car. This one seems like it has a spring clip or
something. I tried to prop it up there and tape it while it dried, but that
just made a big mess. I need to get the bracket off of the mirror. Any
hints?
sdlomi2
2008-07-04 04:41:19 UTC
Post by tar~bal
Anyone reinstall one? I've done it before, but I was able to get the
bracket off on my other car. This one seems like it has a spring clip or
something. I tried to prop it up there and tape it while it dried, but
that just made a big mess. I need to get the bracket off of the mirror.
Any hints?
Is this an interior mirror, and are you referring to the little
'locating lug' that glues to windshield, and that the mirror fits over and
tightens against with a set screw? or an exterior mirror? s
tar~bal
2008-07-07 17:21:29 UTC
Post by sdlomi2
Post by tar~bal
Anyone reinstall one? I've done it before, but I was able to get the
bracket off on my other car. This one seems like it has a spring clip or
something. I tried to prop it up there and tape it while it dried, but
that just made a big mess. I need to get the bracket off of the mirror.
Any hints?
Is this an interior mirror, and are you referring to the little
'locating lug' that glues to windshield, and that the mirror fits over
and tightens against with a set screw? or an exterior mirror? s
It's the interior mirror, but there's no screw on it. It looks like some
kind of flat clip, but I haven't been able to pry it off with a screwdriver.
Plus I'm afraid it will be too hard to snap back into place and might break
the windshield.

I know the set screw thing you're talking about, my other cars have had
this, my Camaro doesn't.
tar~bal
2008-07-11 13:48:20 UTC
Post by tar~bal
Anyone reinstall one? I've done it before, but I was able to get the
bracket off on my other car. This one seems like it has a spring clip or
something. I tried to prop it up there and tape it while it dried, but
that just made a big mess. I need to get the bracket off of the mirror.
Any hints?
No ideas? Damn, guys, I was hoping you could help me out here. I've been
driving without the mirror for a couple of weeks.
WombatPPC
2008-07-11 15:24:15 UTC
Have you tried a stanley knife blade.
--
Find out more at:
http://www.wombatppc.dsl.pipex.com
tar~bal
2008-07-14 13:38:05 UTC
Post by WombatPPC
Have you tried a stanley knife blade.
What? To slit my wrists? The mirror is off, needs to go on. In the past I
would unscrew the mount, glue it and then screw the assembly back together.

This car is different and has some crazy spring clip or something.
WombatPPC
2008-07-14 16:05:08 UTC
No not to slit your wrist!!
To remove the part from the screen, which will then allow you to mess about
with both bits,
Maybe even puting the socket in boiling water to make the plastic more
flexable.
You cant apply much heat or force to it on the screen. So just pop the bit
from off the screen.
Well that what Id personaly do mate.
--
tar~bal
2008-07-17 20:20:33 UTC
Post by WombatPPC
No not to slit your wrist!!
To remove the part from the screen, which will then allow you to mess
about with both bits,
Maybe even puting the socket in boiling water to make the plastic more
flexable.
You cant apply much heat or force to it on the screen. So just pop the bit
from off the screen.
Well that what Id personaly do mate.
If it were still on the screen (I'm thinking you mean windshield) I'd be ok,
but the whole assembly is sitting in my passenger seat. Nothing on it seems
to be plastic but the mirror. I haven't been able to find a damn thing
about it on the web.
WombatPPC
thing about it on the web.
tar~bal
2008-07-18 14:26:17 UTC
Post by WombatPPC
So if nothing is on the screen, whats the problem.
Just stick it back on.
The mirror is too heavy to brace or tape while the adhesive dries. There's
a metal piece that comes out that you glue down separately then, when the
glue is dry, you somehow snap the mirror on. I can't figure out how to get
the piece out.
WombatPPC
2008-07-18 21:30:42 UTC
Sounds to me like its a "Snap in" type fixing.
You may be able to slide a very thin peace of plastic or metal inbetween the
two halves.
That might push the snap in part up out of the way allowing the two halves
to be seperated.

On my mirror on the Trans-am its got a small grub screw. My mirror also
broke off.
But I just held it in place for a few minutes to allow the superglue to go
off.
It was the the balljoints that were to stiff which caused it to break the
seal in the first place.
So id make sure that the balljoints are free before you stick it back on
otherwise it will break off again.